Send the Enemy Packing with Gratitude

{this post is part of Five-Minute Friday at Lisa-Jo Baker}

Five Minute Friday

How it works: Write on one word for five minutes. No editing. Then link up your post with the rest of the brave writers on Five-Minute Friday and encourage them by reading and commenting on what they’ve shared. {All the details for how to play along are here.}

Today’s word: Grateful

{Go}

Tears have welled too many times this week for different reasons. The funeral of a 10-year-old boy, the son of my husband’s co-worker. Being overtired from lack of sleep due to a six-year-old girl who was sick. Feeling lost and wandering and wondering what happened to the dreams that had energized me so much just last week. And the list goes on; the Enemy’s attack.

But I have learned that gratitude beats back the Enemy. When I am grateful, when I pause to say thank you to God and to praise him, and to thank those around me, the Enemy loses. He loses his grip, he loses his power, he loses this battle.

It is easy for me to be grateful when life is moving along as it should, as I expect it to. Grateful for sunshine and for little girl belly laughs and for being outdoors and watching a hawk swoop through the blue sky above.

being thankful is easier when life is good

being thankful is easier when life is good

But, what about when life is skewed, tilted from its normal, expected path? Or when there is unanticipated sorrow or pain or loss? How then are we to be grateful?

God tells me to be thankful in all circumstances. All of them. He didn’t create a gray area where I am allowed to pick and choose the moments for which I am grateful or the circumstances in which I will thank him, in which I will praise him, in which I will worship him.

He is always I Am.

And this God who created me, he comforts me. He cradles me. And, he can work all things together for good for those who love him and are called according to his purpose.

I may not understand it. And I may not go immediately to thanksgiving in the dark, broken, painful moments. But, as I seek him, as I seek his face, the time lapse from hurt to thanksgiving grows ever smaller.

{Stop}

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Send the Enemy Packing with Gratitude

1. kellysshining says:

This was so lovely. I had to say that this part right here wowed me:

“Perhaps he knows that in the darkest moments his love shines brightest. It draws my attention. It captures my heart. It reminds me that he is always worth my praise. He is always worthy of my gratitude. He is always with me.”

You just so cleanly touched on the heart, the truth, and the love of our Father. I appreciated reading your encouraging words to be thankful and grateful even in the midst of things that cause us to wobble. 🙂

Dropping by from FMF. Loved your post truly. 🙂

• judith heaney says:

Kelly, thank you for your incredibly encouraging comment. I’m so glad you stopped by from FMF! I am loving being a part of that awesome and encouraging community. So glad you stopped by!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

2. Double whammy, this was my Friday morning life group topic of discussion. Recognizing God in every moment, good and bad, choosing to worship! Awesome post!

• judith heaney says:

Thanks, David! I appreciate your encouraging feedback! It can be so difficult to recognize God in every moment, but the more we do it, the better we become at it. We have to work out that gratitude muscle in all circumstances, don’t we?

• judith heaney says:

Thank you, Alyssa! I am so glad that you stopped by and that you shared a comment today.

It’s true, isn’t it? When we call on the name of Jesus {as he told us to} the Enemy must flee from us. And you’re right – gratitude and worship are some of the biggest weapons we have. Of course, it goes against every natural instinct I have; what I really want to do sometimes is throw a pity party or wallow in my pain or sorrow. But when I seek to praise him and call on his name, my heart is different even though my circumstances are not.

3. “Perhaps he knows that in the darkest moments his love shines brightest.” Yes yes! To that entire paragraph. We can see His glorious love the best if we can manage to stop in those dark places and turn to Him. Wonderful post today!!

• judith heaney says:

Thank you, Jen! I am so glad you stopped by again today and I appreciate your encouraging feedback.

I am so blessed to be a part of the #fmf community. I hope you have a wonderful day!

4. Hi, new friend! How awesome is it that we just connected on Twitter and we’re both on WordPress?

“But I have learned that gratitude beats back the Enemy.”

This. Amen, amen, amen.

• judith heaney says:

So glad I got to connect with you tonight! And I look forward to many more #fmfparty exchanges!

And thank you for stopping by!

5. “I may not understand it. And I may not go immediately to thanksgiving in the dark, broken, painful moments. But, as I seek him, as I seek his face, the time lapse from hurt to thanksgiving grows ever smaller.”
    So good, Judith!!! Thank you for your words and for the reminder of where we take our pain!!!

• judith heaney says:

Hey fellow #fmf-er! So glad to connect with you tonight and look forward to many more #fmfparty exchanges! It was fun!

So glad that you stopped by and I appreciate your encouraging words!

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s